Another Bookish Update

This post didn’t occur Sunday, when it should have, because I didn’t want to write it. I still don’t, but whatever. Oh well. I’m 2 books behind! Yay!

Things I’ve learned in the first month of Reading 100 Books in a Year:

If I can do this, anyone can

I have a full time job, two kids under the age of 4, friends, dinner parties, hobbies. I attend church, social groups, and play videogames regularly. I do the dishes, and I always have clean clothes. I’m not trying to show off, this is all basic living stuff, I’m just saying that if someone with a full calendar of commitments can read 7 books in a month, so can anyone else. Okay, if you have a full time job AND you’re a student I might give you a pass, because that’s like two full time jobs. THE REST OF YOU, NO EXCUSES. Wait, sorry, this is supposed to be encouraging.

If you want to get encouraged to write, if writing is something you care about, if you want to remember the passion you have for creating art through words, Read.

If you tell your friends, they’ll give you crap
(In a good way)

I have friends and coworkers constantly asking me how my reading is going. It’s great for accountability. Obviously I just tell them to read my stupid blog, because I created it so I wouldn’t have to talk to people about how I’m doing or discuss anything real that’s happening in my life with any other human. Duh. Isn’t that Why Bloggers?

It would be, like, totally awesome, if you could read a book and do anything else, at the same time

I love reading, but it is a very singular endeavor. The reason that I’ve flagged in the last couple of weeks is that I’ve been focused on other things. It’s sometimes possible to listen to a podcast or watch a TV show while doing other things, but it’s not possible to read a book and do other things. It’s not fair to you, it’s not fair to the story, and it’s not fair to to whatever else you’re trying to do.

So, by Sunday I will finish the following: The Pale Blue Eye, A Canticle for Leibowitz.  Really, I’m about 2/3rds through Canticle, so I have no excuse there. I’m only halfway through the Eye, so I’m a little nervous, but this is a marathon, not a sprint.

If you’re reading with me, how’s that going? I hope it’s going well. Give me an update! And keep up the good work.

, , ,

10 Responses to Another Bookish Update

1. Dad February 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Couple weeks ago I told you: “You’ll really like reading John Carter of Mars.” But I’ll give you credit for reading the book if you’ll just go and see the movie with me. =P

• David February 7, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

Is that Sciency Fiction? I’ll add it to my list. Did you see my list post?

I told everyone I’d read their first book, from their comments. So now I have a list of 75 books I have to read.

Haha. Oy.

• Megan February 7, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

Those are the books my dad used to read…except he’d turn the book so the cover was on the bottom when not reading it. Can’t have scantily-clad ladies with muscular men on covers!

I have heard those are good though! I think I should add those to my to-read

2. Kristi February 7, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Well, um. My goal is 150 books for the year and I am 9% ahead of my goal at the moment. I’ve read 29 so far. I hope you don’t hate me :) However, I give you a pass because I am reading in my comfort range and a few of those books are smaller novellas.

I find that I go back and forth with my reading vs watching TV. I tend to read much more on Fri-Sat-Sun than the weekdays. I haven’t finished anything in two days, barely read anything. However, I went to the library and got 4 huge books (Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning) and I am going to be ready to tackle them. I am also going on a mini vacation so… no cooking, cleaning, or kid watching for me. Reading alllll day!

• David February 7, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

That vacation sounds ammmaazziinnngggg.

Well, for a while. I’d want to intersperse some adventures in between all that reading. You know, see a new city. Repel off of something. Maybe not that last thing.

3. Megan February 7, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

I was curious how your reading was going. I should I have asked, but I’m a bad conversationalist. Especially when bringing things up out of the blue. I should be better at that. (Anyway). 100 books is a good goal. I don’t know if I could do it. Only because I tend to read over 400 or close to it page books. Although, I have less responsibilities than you do, considering I don’t have children or a whole place to take care of.

So I guess I should. I don’t know how people read 2 books at a time. I used to be able to do that when I didn’t have my Kindle, but my Kindle fits in my purse, so I am able to read that anytime I want.

I just started trying to read an audio book at the same time on my commutes. I can rent those from the OC library website (awesome, btw; just have to go to the library once in person to get a card, then you can get ebooks for whatever device or get mp3s for your ipod). So that’s the only way I can read 2 at a time.

I feel that my pace is pretty good. I don’t think I even *want* to read more than 50 or 52 books per year. I kind of like to savor books like food or wine. Sometimes I go back and reread passages or sentences, especially when it’s a mystery or thriller.

I dunno. But that’s me. I WOULD like to read more only so I can read every book I want before the end.

Sorry if this was a run-on or fragmented…but I’m just typing. =)

• David February 7, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

Haha. Nothing wrong with just typing. And there’s nothing wrong with reading fewer books and savoring them. I don’t have a problem reading four or five books at once, but I know some people only read one at a time.

If I were only doing one at a time, I know I couldn’t do 100. So yeah.

I’m a pretty slow reader so I do savor, and I never skim unless it’s a re-read, which I’m not doing this year.

Really, I just want to be able to say, “I’ve read a hundred books in a year” — and using it as an opportunity to check out books I’ve never read or thought of reading seemed really fun. But it seemed fun to ME. If it doesn’t seem fun to you, don’t do it! Just being a reader means you’re good, in my book. Less than 20% of the population are readers. Sad, isn’t it?

4. Megan February 7, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

Yeah, I think I would be afraid of failing at reading that many…just cause I’m like that. I would like to also say I read 100 books in a year. Maybe next year!

5. Sarah February 11, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

You could take a bath and read at the same time! Or lay out by the pool and read at the same time. Those are both wonderful activities to accompany a good book. :p I can not read more than one book at a time. It’s like cheating on the characters in the other book.

• David February 11, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

Haha. I could do those things. Light some candles? Wine? Maybe listen to some Kenny G.? Thank you for your advice and participation :)